Tips on How to De-Clutter Your Home This Spring
Research has shown that a messy room, office, or home adds to our daily stress. When you go into a kitchen with dirty dishes sitting around, food containers and stacks of mail on the counter, how do you feel? How about going into the bedroom with mounds of clothing piles – is that a pleasant experience?
Here are 5 simple tips on how to de-clutter without being overwhelmed:
- Set a timer. Set a timer for 15 minutes. Often, you will end up working longer, but knowing you are only obligated to doing a task for 15 minutes is manageable. Playing your favorite music helps the time tick by quickly too!
- Pick one room. Thinking of de-cluttering every room in your home can be daunting. Instead, choose one room to focus on at a time.
- Fill one trash bag. Seeing progress is important, so seeing the full bag increases motivation.
- Take the 10-10-10 Challenge. Throw away 10 items, donate 10 items, and return 10 items back to their proper place in your home. Involve your whole family and make it a competition–it will go by quickly!
- Take the Clothes Hanger Challenge. Wonder which items are simply taking up closet space? Turn all of your hangers in the same direction. After you wear the item, turn the hanger the opposite direction. After 6 months, you’ll have a clear picture of what items to keep and those that can be donated to help someone else.
Your Spring Cleaning Can Help Local Homeless Neighbors
When de-cluttering your home, please considering donating your gently-used items to the Las Vegas Rescue Mission thrift store. Our thrift store plays a vital role between our community and local individuals and families in need.
- Donations are tax-deductible
- 100% of sales directly fund our free programs and services
- For a list of needed items & items not accepted: LVRM Thrift Store
- Need pick-up service? Click here
- LVRM/Thrift store location: 480 W. Bonanza Rd. LV 89106
- Donation Questions? (702) 932-8170 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.